Tuesday 15 June 2010

One Layer Challenge

Welcome to another challenge here on A Passion for Papertrey! This time we're going to strip it back and ask you to make a one layer card. I'm a huge fan of one layer cards, but they can be a challenge can't they?!

It can be easy to keep adding layers and embellishments but the art of one layer cards is keeping it simple which is often easier said than done! Remember you can use embellishments on your project but there must only be one layer :)

There are some real advantages to one layer cards - they're super quick to make, cheap to send, easy to mass produce if needed and don't use too many supplies. Have I tempted you to join in yet?!

For my sample I decided to go for a circle card, and that super cute car from the Enjoy the Ride set. I wanted a clean and simple design so simply stamped the car, coloured it with Copics and a white gel pen, and drew a circle around it to add a border. A touch of sponging around the edges with some Distress Ink and I was done!



Recipe:
Stamps: Enjoy the Ride
Card: Kraft
Ink: Memento/Antique Linen Distress Ink
Other: Copic Sketch Markers/White Gel Pen/Circle Nestabilities


Over to Aimes:
Eeek! One layer!?!?! Seriously?! Well Kate pointed out that since I am soooooooo busy at the moment and already behind on the PTI blog schedule, this should be a quickie card for me to make - nice try Kate, but not much can sweeten this challenge for me LOL!

So after some seriously failed attempts, here's what I came up with:

...and I'm still not totally satisfied but if you saw my failed attempts you'd be impressed with this one!

Card Recipe
Stamps: Turning a New Leaf/Daily Designs Sentiments
Ink: Versamark/Dark Chocolate
Card: Lemon Tart
Accessories: White Gel Pen/Corner Rounder/Dark Chocolate Twill


And here is our June Featured Stamper, Chris:

"I think that one layer cards are a real challenge – so often a case of right first time as they can be very unforgiving! For my card I used the Boards and Beams set – I love this set as you can dress it up or down depending on the occasion and the Christmas additions (Home for the Holidays) with the snow and wreaths make beautiful cards.

I simply stamped the images in Black memento ink onto Stampers Select white cardstock and coloured them in with Copic markers. I find it useful to draw a fine pencil line across my card so I can line up the house and fences and it’s easily removed after. I masked the fences to try and stamp the trees at slightly different heights.

The only drawback with using Copic markers on Stampers Select card is that they do bleed though to the other side – not great for a one layer card! I put a piece of pretty paper on the inside to cover it up – I hope that is ok for the challenge!"



Fancy challenging yourself to creating a 'One-Layer Wonder?'

Here are the deets:

* All entries must contain at least one PTI product to qualify

* To enter, use our inlinkz thingy at the bottom of this post. If you're having problems then just leave a comment with a link to your post featuring the project on your blog or online gallery.

* Worldwide entries are more than welcome to share the inspiration and can be in with a chance of being a Top 3 PTI Passionista, but unfortunately prizes can only be shipped within Europe!

* Challenge closes on Monday, June 28th 2010 at 9.00am GMT

* A winner will be chosen at random to receive some PTI goodies! In addition to this, we'll select the top three creations we like the most and feature them on the Blog. The top three PTI Passionistas will have chance to display a Top 3 Passionista Blinkie on their own blog.

We can't wait to see what you come up with!

Kate, Aimes and Chris xxx

12 comments:

Diane Jaquay said...

Splendid one layer cards ladies, I'm going to have to jump in on this challenge because I've really been enjoying making these cards lately :)

Marinette-Scraptherapie said...

Wow! j'adooore ce challenge, je vais le faire c'est certain, bravo les filles

Cathygel said...

Nice cards!
Not so easy this challenge ... I'll try!!!
Thank you -)

Cathygel said...

Nice cards!
Not so easy ... this challenge but I'll try!!!
Thanks -)

sugacatz said...

I have entered woo hopo I am the first! I enjoyed making this card. Fingers crossed it qualifies for the challenge. Im not so sure now - Whoops.

Lx

Inkyfingers said...

This gave me far more trouble than it should, but I really enjoyed using Kraft card for the first time. Great cards for inspiration.
Thanks,
Carol

Antje said...

Oh I love one layer cards - hope to find time to play. Gorgeous cards from the DT. Great challenge and great takes on the challenge!

Daniela F. said...

Fantastic cards, ladies! Let's see if I'm able to join the challenge because one layer cards are really a BIG challenge for me!

Ginger Claire said...

I'm not sure whether I love or hate you for this challenge. It took a while but I did enjoy the process and the challenge. xx

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Your talent is exceptional, girls! My card is quite bulky, as for an one-layer project, I hope it still fits! Have a lovely week xxx

Deb Neerman said...

FABulous samples ... so beautiful!

Thanks for a fun challenge, Ladies!

Vicki said...

Woohoo! Not sure I've ever done a one layer before, I was soooo tempted....lol

Hugs
Vicki x